Saturday, August 29, 2015

Unconventional Materials

I am playing along with Papertrey Ink today.  We were issued a challenge to use unconventional materials from the hardware store not to exceed $10.

So . . . here are my materials.

First in full disclosure, I did not go to the store to shop.  I am just thankful for the time to craft today. At 5:15 pm today (local time), I went to my husband's garage.  I started looking around.  I saw the wood filler right off but didn't pick it up. I rummaged around.  I found this bright orange flag.  I grabbed it thinking that would make for an interesting color and material.  Under the shelf with the flags, I saw this tag on a plastic pot.  So, I yanked it off.  I saw this string but passed it over thinking it was too easy.  I looked a little more and thought I would grab the wood filler.  After I found the inspiration for my card, I went back and got the string.

My original thought was to use the flag as a four wheeler flag.  Then I had the idea to remove the plastic.  I thought picnic blanket.  So, I came back to my room and sat . . . and sat . . and sat staring at these things.  What on earth could I possibly do?  I was afraid to stamp on the orange flag as it would be a smearing nightmare.  So, I started thinking about all the things that are bright orange.   And the idea hit me . . .

So here is what I came up with:

Hilarious!  Right?  I folded that flag piece in half and went to my sewing machine.  I was originally going to use the wood filler as texture for water.  But, it honestly looked so good as sand.  This was certainly a stretch for me.  It was fun and entertaining.  I hope my inspiration comes across.

Here are some other shots of my finished work.

I looked up the prices for the materials on Home Depot.  The wood filler is $2.98, a set of 15 flags is $3.88, the string is $2.57.  I am still counting the tag as free.  So with tax I am coming in real close to the $10 mark.  I think that is pretty good for grabbing a few things from my husband's garage.

I am excited to see what others have done now.  Thanks for looking!!

2 comments:

A Crafty Person said...

This is a wonderful take on the unconventional challenge! I love the way you used the flag and wood filler.

Leslie L. said...

Very creative! I just rummaged through our garage for this challenge and have no idea what will hit me to do with the few things I grabbed.